Forums » Learn Hindi » Kahawatein, Dohe and Chhand »

Hindi proverbs and idioms with their meaning and example

Posted Date: 11 Aug 2011      Posted By:: Akanksha P.V     Member Level: Gold    Member Rank: 2     Points: 4 (Rs 2)   Responses: 6

Dear all,

This thread has been started with an aim to collect as many Hindi proverbs, kahawatein, dohe and chhand as possible.

We expect the members to post proverbs along with their meanings and their usage.

The proverbs would obviously be same everywhere on the internet and books, we expect the members to post self written meanings and example though.

I'll show you one sample here.
Sample Hindi proverbs:

Sample doha:

Karat karat abhyaas ke, jadmati hot sujan.
Rasari aawat jaat te, sil par parat nisaan.

Meaning: This doha is from the collection of Kabir ke Dohe.
The meaning goes like: Even if a dumb person does a lot of practice, he becomes intelligent. This is similar to a situation where a rope is continously rubbed on
a stone slab and then even the hard and callous stone develops the marks of the rope.

sample kahawat:

Naach na jane aangan tedha
Meaning: A person who does not have proper skills blame other things for his failure. Literal meaning is A person who doesn't knows to dance blames the stage to be tilted for not been able to dance properly.

Please post the proverbs/idioms below as response to this thread.

Thanks & Regards,
Akanksha P.V
Webmaster - MPSpider.com

Read related posts: Learn Hindi    Hindi Proverbs and Idioms    

Responses

#415    Author: Aishwarya      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 40     Date: 11/Aug/2011   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 5 (Rs 2)

Dear Akanksha Mam,

I am a new member and would like to do " Shree Ganesh " with this forum.

My contribution being :
Ab Pachtaye Hot to kya, Jab Chidiya Chug Gai Khet

Meaning: why to regret when everything is over.Dont regret when you havent initiated a timely action.

It literally means that why do you regret today when the birds have eaten away all the grains of your field.

We have a similar meaning proverb in English which goes like "No use crying over spilled milk"

The Sanskrit equivalent of the same goes like " Gotosyo Sochone Nasti ( Yatha Karmo Tatha Sasti ) "

Best Wishes
Aishwarya

#425    Author: Noopur      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 20     Date: 06/Oct/2011   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 12 (Rs 6)

The idiom is:

1. Kagaj Kala karna

Meaning:
To write without understanding.
When a person does not understand a thing and tries to write,
he is either unable to properly put in words what he wants to express or writes wrongly.

Sentence Formation in hindi:
Kagaj kala kyu karte ho, samajh bhuujhkar likho.

Meaning in english:
Why do you write without understanding, first try to understand then write.

2. Eid ka chand hona

Meaning:
In english we generally use the idiom,'once in a blue moon'.
It means that a person cannot be seen at all times or regularly but can only be seen at rare occasions.

Sentence formation in hindi:
Lata shaadi k baad tum eid ka chand ho gai ho.

Meaning in english:
Lata after marriage you can rarely be seen.

3.Fuuk-fuuk kar pau rakhna

Meaning:
To start a work after understanding.
It means not to do a work in haste, but with intellect.
In english we generally say,'Haste is waste.'

Dusman ki sena ko parajit karne k liye, bhartiya sainik fuuk-fuuk kar kadam rakh rahe hai.

Meaning in english
To win the battle the Indian army men are heading forward with caution and intellilect.

4.Maidaan maarna

Meaning:
To get successful or victorious.
This phrase is used to denote the success of a team.

Hamari team ne football match mein acchi pradarshan dikhai aur maidaan maar liya.

Meaning in english
Our team in the field played football well and won the match.

#428    Author: Renin      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 27     Date: 12/Oct/2011   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 10 (Rs 5)

Idiom 1. Bandar kya jane adrak ka swad?

Direct translation: How can a monkey know the taste of ginger?

Meaning: Some people are not capable of appreciating certain things.
In our lives we come across people who criticize or bring out flaws in you or your works. In reality however they have no knowledge and it is better to neglect such people by telling yourself Bandar kya jaane adrak ka swad.

Idiom 2. Doodh ka jala chaas bhi phoonk phoonk kar peeta hai.

Direct translation: A person who got scalded because of hot milk will drink even buttermilk cautiously.

Meaning: Someone who made a mistake in the past is extra cautious that the same doesn't happen again.

Idiom 3. Anth bhala toh sab bhala

Direct translation and meaning: All's well that ends well.

Idiom 4. Khoda pahad nikli chuhiya

Direct translation: Dug a mountain and found only a dead rat.

Meaning: Assumption made/effort put in is useless as the result is negligible.

Idiom 5. Aamdani athanni kharcha rupaiya

Direct translation: Income is half rupee and expense one rupee.

Meaning: To spend beyond one's means or leading a lifestyle one can't actually afford.

#436    Author: Hakimuddin      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 12     Date: 12/Feb/2012   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 4 (Rs 2)

Hi,
I am posting two most important Doha of Kabir das ji.
Guru Govind dou khare, Kake lagu pay,
balihari Guru Apki, Govind diyo Batai.

Meaning:- In this doha the importance of teacher (guru) is indicated. Kabirdasji want to tell that the position of a teacher is greater than that of God because if you are able to know the god due to your teacher. The teacher is the person by whom you can recognized the God.

Dukh me sumiran sab kare, Sukh me kare na koi,
Sukh me sumiran jo kare, to dukh kahe ko hoi,

Meaning:- In this doha kabir das ji said that every person remember God in his bad tim but never remeber in his good time. If a person remember god in his good time then there will not be a bad time for him. He will be pleased always.

#437    Author: Hakimuddin      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 12     Date: 13/Feb/2012   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 6 (Rs 3)

Hi,
I am posting some Kahawatain:-

1.Uchi Dukan phike Pakwaan
Meaning:- Some time an item is not so good as it is advertised. In this kahawat this thing is presented that never be affected by any dukan or brand but see the quality of an item.

2.Poot ke Lakshan Palne me Nazar aate hai
Meaning:- According to this kahawat by seeing a child in a Palna (Jhula) you can guess what will be the character of this child in future.

3.Poot saput to kyo dhan sanchay, Poot kapoot to kyo dhan sanchay
Meaning:- According to this kahawat never store your money for your child. If he is able and good(sapoot) he will not need your money. He will be able to earn money for his life. And if your son is bad(Kapoot) he will not use your money in proper way. He will waste this money. So according to this kahawat use your money properly and not try to store it. If your money is used in the welfare of the people it will certainly help your child.

#550    Author: Suchithra S      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 17     Date: 14/Jul/2012   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 10 (Rs 5)

Hi Akanksha ,

I am posting some hindi proverbs here. Let it help others who are in need.

1.Ghar ki murgi, dhal barabar
Meaning goes like: Self possessions are undermined or hidden and other's possessions seem to be better.People go greedy in life often.

2.Garajne wale bhaadal, baraste nahin he
Meaning is:People who give more threats seldom find time to do anything. We often meet such people.

3.Jitnee lambi Chadhar ho Utna hi pair phailana chahiye
Meaning is:Limit your Spendings according to your earnings.Also you can say stretch your legs maximum until it touches the limit or size of your counter pan and not beyond.

4.Aap bala tho Jag bala
Meaning goes like this:If a person himself or herself is good then the whole world turns out to be good.So try to make yourself perfect rather than cursing the whole world that is all others.

5.Andhon me kaana raja
Meaning:A one eyed man is the king among blind men.

Hope you all liked it

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.