• More than half of the forest land is under Reserved Forest. Madhya Pradesh has the largest Reserved Forest cover of its total i.e. about 60%.
• They are the most valuable as far as the conservation of the forest resources are concerned.
• They are also referred to as Permanent Forests..
• About 33% of the forest under this category.
• As the name suggests, they are meant for the Protection purposes. Therefore the access of people for grazing cattle or for collecting fuel wood is restricted there.
• These are either the small forests or waste lands owned by both, government or an individual or group of individuals..
• They are often owned by tribal communities also.