Major Rivers of MP
Narmada, Tapti, Son, Indravati, Betwa, Mahanadi and Shipra are the major rivers of Madhya Pradesh.
Narmada River glowing at the dusk in Madhya Pradesh
Other Facts about rivers flowing through Madhya Pradesh are: -
1. Narmada and Tapti flow from East to West, ultimately falling into the Arabian Sea.
2. River Narmada is known as the Lifeline of Madhya Pradesh as it serves an aid for various sectors there, like Navigation, Fishing etc.
3. Narmada river is about 1300 km long and is the fifth largest of all rivers in India.
4. It is also sacred as other Indian mainstreams are. Two legends which are generally voiced upon the origin of this river are:- First, it is believed that Narmada started flowing when the sweat of Lord Shiva collected during his strong meditation. Another one is that 2 big drops of Lord Brahma's tears made this river to flow. Even river Sone is said to have a similar origin.
5. Mahismati and Tripuri are 2 sacred places in the banks of this river in Madhya Pradesh, which are worth a visit. The calmness and tranquilty of mother Nature around this area is capable of linking one's heart directly with the true spirits.
6. Tapti river on the other hand, is a big aid for MP if the Agricultural sector is taken into account. It originates from Betul District and flows alongwith Narmada to Arabian Sea.
Here are some other rivers and their places of origin:-
•Mahanadi - Sihava Hills
•Betwa - Kumra Village
•Indravati - Bastar
•Shipra - Kokdi Tekdi Hills
Thank you very much for the river's knowledge. Mahanadi is my favorite as my grandfather and grandmother live there. I also went there to swim.