Khajuraho Dance Festival is organised by Madhya Pradesh Kala Parishad every year in the month of February. It is week long programme that focuses on various classical Indian dance forms. The UNESCO designated world heritage khajuraho temples form the platform for the presentation of these dance forms. The basic main of the Madhya Pradesh Tourism Board in conducting the dance festival is to promote the cultural heritage of India and keep the traditional dance forms alive.
Khajuraho a small town in the Chhattarpur district of Madhya Pradesh, is famous for its temples which are known for their archeological excellence. The temples were built between 250-1050 A.D under the Chandela Dynasty. These temples are primary tourist attraction of Madhya Pradesh and this cultural event of dance makes them more popular among the tourists. Several tour and travel agencies design special cultural packages for the month of February for the tourist to see this dance festival.
Artists from all over India come to perform in this dance festival. Khajuraho dance festival is held in open air corridors of these temples. These performances are held in the traditional way in the temple premises. According to history of dance, Indian classical dances were performed in the temples and the dancers were known as devadasis.
At the Khajuraho Dance Festival audience get an opportunity to see dance forms like Kathak, Bharatnatyam, Kuchipudi, Odissi, Manipuri etc. It is an internationally recognised event. Best dancers from India and abroad come here to perform. Apart from dance, other art and craft works from the nearby villages are also displayed in this programme.
Dates and Venue of Khajuraho Dance Festival 2012
Khajuraho dance festival 2012 will be held from 1st Feb 2012 to 7th Feb 2012.
The Khajuraho Dance Festival 2012 will be held in temple premises of the famous Chitragupta temple and Vishwanath temple in Khajuraho.
Schedule of dance for Khajuraho Dance Festival 2012
The event witnesses breathtaking cultural and traditional dance performances from highly talented artists of world fame.Following is the latest schedule of dances in Khajuraho Festival of Dance 2012 received from the MP Tourism Board:
- 1st Feb 2012: Odissi by Sujata Mahopatra, Mohini Attam- Kathakali-Duet by Mandakini Trivedi,Kalamandalam Piyal and Aakash Malik and Bharatnatyam by Chitra Veshwesharan and group.
- 2nd Feb 2012: Kathak by Ragini Makkhar, Bharatnatyam-odissi-Duet by Sandhya V.Purecha and Jhlum Paranjape and Kuchpudi by Shobha Naidu and Group.
- 3rd Feb 2012: Kathak by Sanjukta Sinha, Mohini Attam,Odissi and Kathak by Jayprabha Menon,Kavita Dwivedi,Malti Shyam and Satriya by Guru Govind Saikiya And group.
- 4th Feb 2012: Traditional Andhra NatyaDevidas Dance by Kalakrishna, Kathak and Odissi Duet by Swati Sinha and Kaveri Behra and Odissi by Madhavi Mudgal and group.
- 5th Feb 2012: Bharatnatyam by Priya Venkataraman, Odissi and Kathak Duet by Nadini Ghoshal and Sauvik Chakravarty and Kathak by Aditi Mangaldas and Group.
- 6th Feb 2012: Odissi by Tanvi Jain, Kathak and American Ballet Duet by Ritushri Chaudhary and Leya Cartes and Contemporary Indian Dance by Bhumika Dance Troup.
- 7th Feb 2012: Kathak by Shambhavi Shukla, Bharatnatyam,Chhau by Navtej Singh Johar,Anil Panchal and Manipun by Liyanda Folk and Classical Academy Group.
You can book tickets for Khajuraho Dance Festival 2012 on the spot when you reach the place. Tickets are available from Rs.20(daily ticket) to Rs. 600(seasonal ticket) depending upon the row you choose to sit.
We wish you a pleasant stay in Khajuraho!
Also read our other articles on Khajuraho.
|Author: Khajuraho 19 Jun 2012||Member Level: Bronze Points : 0|
|Apart from Khajuraho Temples This Dance festival is much famous most of the tourist visit there to see festival all the Indian dances are performed.|
|Guest Author: NILOY MITTER 07 Aug 2012|
|I would like to get the schedule for Khajuraho dance festival 2013 and would like to purchase the tickets.|
Help me please.
|Author: Akanksha P.V 08 Aug 2012||Member Level: Gold Points : 3|
The schedule for Khajuraho dance festival is announced only few days before the festival starts on the MP Tourism website run by govt. of Madhya Pradesh. As of now the only information about the dates of Khajuraho dance festival 2013 available to us is that the festival would start on 1st feb 2013 and end on 7th feb 2013.
The detailed schedule will be announced only by the end of Jan 2013.